Baby Point / Olde Millside

Overview

  • Baby Point was initially a Seneca and Mohawk Village, that was abandoned shortly before 1700
  • James Baby, a former politician in Upper Canada, from a wealthy fur trading family found the abandoned village and settled in what now today is known as Baby Point (pronounced “Bawby”)
  • Bounded on the west by Humber River from south of Baby Point Crescent to St. Marks Road, east to Jane Street south to Raymond Avenue west to the Humber
  • Baby’s heirs lived in Baby Point until 1910 when the government acquired Baby Point
  • In 1912 the government sold off Baby Point to Robert Home Smith, an established developer who began building most of the homes in Baby Point
  • Most of the homes in Baby Point were built in the 1920’s and 1930’s – ranging from two-story detached homes to spacious English manors
  • The oldest streets in this area are Baby Point Road and Baby Point Crescent, originally lined with large oak trees – today we see oak staircases, oak trim, oak doors and oak-mantelpieces as the neighbourhood strives to preserve this original charm
  • Known for its Baby Point Club; a private club that contributes to bringing the community together through recreation sports and social events, with two tennis courts, a log cabin clubhouse, and lawn bowling greenery
  • Living in this area is never a dull moment, only a 15-minute walk from the popular Bloor West Village, with great cafes, shops, bars & restaurants, including Campo, Mad Mexican and Woody’s
  • A short walk to everything and anything you may need – yoga & fitness studios, the Humber River, Old Mill Inn & Spa, Old Mill Tennis Club, and both Old Mill and Jane subway stations